Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hello, Again...Hello; I am just calling to say, "Hello"

One of my favorite things about this island is waking up (usually around 6am), grabbing breakfast, a cup of coffee, and walking out onto the lanai to enjoy the scenery.  No thoughts, no worries, pure observation. 

For your context, it is currently noon on a beautifully, sunny, yet windy Saturday and I am sitting on Tommy's couch out in Ko'Olina watching the Arkansas-Alabama football game...Ingram knows how to play the game of football.  But, before we continue, don't assume that because I am on my computer right now that I am recovering from a late night (it was, by the way) or fighting off a couple of late night cocktails (me? kocktail kraig?). 

Last night was a special occasion; it is Tommy Nordling's last weekend on O'ahu.  He will be pursing a wonderful career and personal opportunity, seeking managerial responsibilities of his own store and 'hopefully' a future engagement with his stunning, long term girlfiend Kaley.  To continue on, we were invited out to his boss's place for a send off bar-b-que.  With a large Target contingency, John (the boss) instantly huddled everyone together to share favorite stories of Tommy.  From his endearing nature, contagious personality (can be said about this entire core group of individuals), to recurring accounts of sincerity, and of course, wonderful humor, it was special to witness these tears, laughs, and reflections. 

Although the opportunity did not present itself to share a personal story about Tommy, this forum allows endless chances.  Without further adieu, here is the speech that I whipped up while listening to the others last night:

First, I want to thank you for coming to Tommy and my one month anniversary.  It is fantastic to have this crowd of people to share and rejoice in our love.  Most of you do not even know who I am, Hello, my name is Kraig Olson, but that is beside the point.  Some of you have heard the phrase that behind every hard working man is a beautiful woman (to some variation).  Well, in our case, this is basically true, 'behind every hard working man (myself) is an even better looking, harder working, more sincere man (point to Tommy). 

My friend Patrick Riordan (also a Target ETL...if you don't know the acronym, get with the program) would occasionally talk about Tommy and his escapades in Hawaii, but I took that for granted; he said, Tommy is a great guy, an absolute fantastic individual.  For those of you who know Pat or even don't, he isn't one to necessarily talk too much about items like this.  Well, do you know what, Pat couldn't have been further from the truth.  Tommy is not just a fantastic individual; he is the best of individuals. 

That would be an initial kick off speech, but for a specific story about Tommy, perhaps this will give you a glimpse.  After flying back from Minneapolis, Tommy and Jeff encouraged me to stopy by Gordan Biersch (sp) for dinner.  With it's close proximity to a fine family restaurant (cough, cough, Hooters), you can guess where we went after dinner.  Exhausted after the beer and knowing that my birthday was the next day, I called it a night, but that didn't stop these guys.  Long story short, someone, by sheer happenstance, encountered the 24 hr flu. 

Later that weekend, everyone came over to my place in Waikiki and the first thing that Mr. Nordling did was present to me a birthday gift.  Genuinely saddened at the fact he couldn't make the b-day festivities, he bought me a Crown Royal Reserve bottle of whiskey.  I couldn't have asked for more. 

Overall, Tommy is going to be greatly missed, and I only hope and pray to stay in close contact with him over the years to come. 

***

I feel the long windedness and can take a hint.  So, what is happening the rest of the weekend?  Here is the potential plan:
1. Pool in a half an hour at my place
2. Grocery shopping
3. Grilling by the pool
4. Yardhouse-Bar with over 100 beers on tap!
5. Vikings = 7am
6. Sunday fun day (workout/beach/friends)
7. Invited to another gathering Sunday afternoon in Diamondhead

Should be an entertaining weekend and I look forward to enjoying the endless sunshine.

Oh yeah, by the way, I went on two dates this weekend and couldn't have asked for anything more; they were incredible.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun. Can't wait to come and visit you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1: Need more details on the date
    #2: How do you feel about hiring a team mascot? I'm willing to take the job and live in HI for the next few months...
    #3: I hear you are dominating left and right out there - I'm so proud!!

    ReplyDelete