Monday, August 8, 2011

LA Livin it Universally

For those of you who have not been to California, specifically LA, go, and go within the next 5 years.  Sure, it is crowded, somewhat chaotic, but it has an energy / aura around it that rivals Vegas.  While some of you may have thought my weekend in LA finished with the movie-like scene in the Pasadena shopping complex, it did not. 

After a much-needed nap, running errands, moving into a new room, we cleaned up and went down to the LA Live Ara.  Here, the epicenter of anything ‘LA’ (traditionally speaking), one will find the Staples Center, the US Bank Center, historic hotels, sky scrapers, and pure excitement.  The X games were going on, so add in a large alternative crowd and you have yourself a contemporary version of a melting pot. 

CJ, Tara, Kristina, and I grabbed drinks and aps at some type of Asian Bistro (PF chang’s I think?) in LA Live before heading to the rooftop bar at the Standard for more drinks, food, and a skyline sunset.  To our dismay, our plans unraveled as a pool part was lasting until 8pm; we had an hour and a half to kill.  One of the closest places was this quaint, dark bar called The Library (is that right?).  Its ambiance felt somewhat upscale Northwestern, but now looking back, I laugh at the fact it might have been more a wannabee Harvard Bar (no offense offered).  It was dark, green clothed couches, provided plenty of craft brews (bottled and draft), and contained walls and walls of books.  Taking it a step further, it reminded me of a place you go to get a scotch on the rocks and smoke a cigar (yes, I have done this = amazing).  Laughing the hour away with ‘2 truths and a lie’, we gorged ourselves with delicious sliders, fries, edimame (sp), a grilled cheese to boot, and went back to the standard. 

The rooftop bar at the Standard is swanky, stylish, and reeks of coolness.  Neat lighting, waterbeds (yeah, cool), amazing views, rooftop pool, good drinks, dance floor, the list goes on.  There are a couple of photos from the previous blog that might reflect a little of what this place contained, but I give it 2 thumbs up; we had a ton of fun. 

By the time we got back to our place it was after midnight; two seconds after my head hit the pillow, I was out cold. Tomorrow, universal studios. 

Being the newcomer to LA that I was, I did not know Universal Studios had more than just attractions.  Mall, events, movie theatres, more energy and light filled the afternoon.  To say that I was awestruck over everything that went on here is an understatement.  Finally arriving at the lines for tickets, my eyes were in a perma-wide-eyed position trying to soak in everything that was going on; Heck, I am from Blooming PrairieJ. 

This next tip is something that I recommend everything take into consideration when going to universal studios.  If you hate lines, hate the time waiting for a 3 minute ride, buy the ‘front in line’ access pass.  Budget, save, do whatever you have to do to pay the extra $75 (?) for the tickets.  It is the best way to save you at least 3 hours standing in line for a total of 30 minutes of rides. 

Now with that said, I am not going to spoil everything by describing each of the rides, but I will do this:
1. Pleasantly Surprised by the Simpsons ride (there was even a funny picture taken of me screaming like a sallas).  CJ, Tara, and Kristina looked unphased…I don’t know how; it was a pretty crazy ride
2. King Kong 3D – A fire burned down the original; I think more people might have preferred that one
3. Jurassic Park –Piece of advice – Don’t wear a white t-shirt
4. Mummy – Interesting
5. Tour of Studios – Pleasant, Make sure you have good company (I did)
6. Terminator – Judge it yourself
Instead of capping off the day with a fancy, romantic dinner, Kristina and I decided to part ways from CJ and Tara for a dinner and movie dine in, getting food from a top Mexican food establishment….Chipotle. 

The 4:30am wake-up call came too early and with a snap of a finger and a blink of an eye, I had to say good-bye to the K-Gal for a 34 day breakL.  Great weekend, great times, great people…I could not have asked for more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment